Like many other festivals this year, the New Orleans Horror Film Fest is going to be streaming virtually which means you don’t have to be in NOLA to attend- you don’t even have to be in pants!
With multiple short film blocks including comedy shorts and sci-fi shorts, the festival is bringing you 6 feature films as well as live panel discussions. The feature films showing at NOLAHFF are:
- The Unfamiliar: A British Army doctor comes back from a war, thinking that she has PTSD, only to discover that there is a more daunting malevolence at work, making the life that she knew, unfamiliar.
- Sister Tempest: Anne Hutchinson’s troubled relationship with her missing sister is under alien tribunal. Meanwhile, her new roommate’s mysterious illness causes her to go on a cannibalistic killing spree.
- Goodbye Honey: After escaping abduction, a frantic woman must coerce an exhausted truck driver to hide in the back of her truck for the night. The two women take refuge not knowing what the rest of the night has in store.
- Hawk and Rev: Vampire Slayers: Philip “HAWK” Hawkins doesn’t just dream about killing vampires… He eats, sleeps, drinks and freakin’ breaths it! After getting kicked out of the Army for staking a fellow soldier with a blunt two by four, Hawk almost dies of boredom working as a night security guard at a deserted office park in his hometown of Santa Muerte, California… USA. Just when it looks like all Hawk’s options in life have expired… Filthy-ass blood-sucking vampires appear! And of course… Nobody even freakin’ believes him! With his back up against the wall, his sweaty Karate Kid headband on and hordes of blood-thirsty murderous vampires closing in, Hawk enlists the help of the one person who kind of believes him… Revson “REV” McCabe, a dimwitted, vegan-pacifist groundskeeper. Together they join forces to save the whole entire freakin’ world! Well… At least their hometown anyway.
- Parable: When a famous lay preacher, Rev. Randal Day, accidentally conjures a demonic spirit while trying to “cure” a teenage girl, Esther, through aggressive gay conversion therapy at one of his facilities, he tries to hide his mistake in a church house deep within a security complex. Hell bent on orchestrating a mass suicide in its name, the demon – an ancient spirit malevolent spirit named ARDA – starts taking its toll on the preacher and his helper and they revert to desperate biblical methods to exorcise her.
- The Reckoning: A woman is falsely accused of witchcraft in England in 1665, the year of the Great Plague. While enduring a brutal trial in which she is tormented by demons both real and spiritual, her persecutors attempt to break her will , while she plots violent revenge against them.
- And, of course, don’t forget the shorts blocks, the staple of all great horror film festivals!
(All summaries courtesy of NOLHFF)
You can check out all the offerings in the festival’s film guide.
Passes for the entire weekend as well as individual day passes are available on the festival website. At $60 for the whole festival, you’ll get plenty of new curated horror to watch. And face it, you’ve been at home waiting for some good new horror, so now is your chance!