No more strange distortions and echoes! No more Eric sounding like he’s in another room! A new audio experience for the Scariest Things is coming soon to a streaming device near you.
After one full year in operation, we have determined that we can pull this crazy podcasting stunt off. So, we’re investing in new tech! The slight downside is, we’re waiting to do our next podcast with the new equipment, so it might be a couple weeks before the next podcast is up, but we’re going to do Episode XL (50) as a retrospective of what we’ve learned and enjoyed this year!
For those of you curious and are thinking about doing podcasting yourselves, or if you just have an audiophile bug in your brain here’s what we’re getting:
- A Behringer UFX1204 12-Input 4-Bus Mixer
- (3) Audix OM5 dynamic hypercardioid microphones, with table booms and shock mounts.
- And all the cables, connections and accessories necessary to make all this stuff work.
Do we know what this stuff all does? Hell no! Look at all those dials! But our friends at Pro-Sound and Lighting in Portland helped us out with this setup, and we’re convinced that this is going to get us the best sounding podcast possible. We’ve gotten more than a few complaints about how wonky our sound has been, and we decided… NO MORE! We’re cleaning up our act!
In other Scariest Things news, we will be setting up a Patreon page soon, in the hopes that:
- Do you like on the air shout-outs, blog recognition, and belonging to a community that loves what you love? Sure you do!
- Do you like exclusive podcast content: movie reviews on request, and requests for podcast topics.
- Do you like extra access! Do you want to participate in the next selection jury? Do you want to read the closing tagline to the podcast?
- Do you want some Scariest Merchandise? We’re thinking about tee-shirts, pins, and stickers… for starters. Think NPR, without the annoying bet-a-
thon. Though, really, that’s what we’re doing here.
- And most importantly, do you feel like you can help support the podcast so we can continue to give you quality podcasting. (And help pay for all this audio tech we just purchased!) Seriously, even small donations will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all once again for a fantastic 2018! This whole enterprise has been so life-affirming (oddly given the nature of our subject material). But it’s true, it has given each of us involved with TST a terrific outlet for expressing our love for the genre. It has been so much fun, and we look forward to interacting with you all in 2019! Stay Scary!
Eric Li, Managing Editor, The Scariest Things